This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them, I will get a small referral fee and you will be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you, so thank you!
I received the notification that my blog was nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award a couple of weeks ago. Since December was a busy holiday season, I decided to leave it alone, and I just now decide to do something about it.
To those who are not familiar with it, Sunshine Blogger Awards is given to bloggers who are “creative, positive, and inspiring” by other bloggers. It is an online reward, and when one receives this, it means “the blog inspires their readers and gives a bit of happiness too” — just like the rays of sunshine brightening the cloudy sky. Once you have been nominated you are given a set of questions to answer and then you get to “pass it on” to other bloggers that you admire.
It means a lot to me to be nominated for the award. It is my mission with Making LOL to inspire and motivate people who are going through hard times and let them know that they are not alone in their journey.
I hope we all can adopt the mentality of overcoming adversity with grace + humor. It’s not an easy thing to do, especially when we are deep in the trials. But, have faith that there is a purpose for every trial that we go through.
So, this is my shout out to Preeti Gaur over at Scenario of Life. She is a lifestyle blogger writing about relationship, family, health, DIYs, beauty tips and all things about life. Head on over to check her nudgets of wisdom.
Here are my answers to Preeti’s questions:
1. When and why did you start blogging?
I started blogging 6 months ago. I went through a major life change that required me to move to the other side of the world and started over from scratch in all aspects of my life, including my career. I started blogging as a way to heal myself and figure out the next chapter of my life.
2. What is the story behind your blog niche?
I picked the name Making LOL to mean:
- Making Lemons Out of Lemonade — making the most out of whatever situation that life throws at us. It’s a spin off of the regular saying to showcase a bit sense of humor.
- Making Laugh Out Loud as we travel in this journey we call life.
3. What is the toughest part of blogging for you?
I didn’t know anything about blogging and social media when I first started. So, it had been a huge learning curve. Apart from the amount of learning we need to launch and keep a blog going, the toughest part is the amount of time we are spending sitting down and working on the computer. I am used to being a lot more active physically.
4. What is the most enjoyable part?
I like that blogging gives us the opportunity to connect with people from every corner of the world. It’s like a meetup without the small talks. Most of often than not, you get to be right smack dab in the middle of the most heartbreaking stories you’ll ever read.
I am also very visually oriented. So, I enjoy creating beautiful pins for the blog post.
5. Is there anything that keeps you going through tough times?
Listening to inspiring Christian music keeps me going through the tough times. Even when my faith took a beating, listening to the Christian music gives my head time to catch up with what my heart knows to be true about God’s faithfulness.
6. What’s the weirdest thing that you’ve ever eaten?
I tend to stay away from eating anything weird. But, I don’t like the taste of ginger or horseradish. So, whenever I accidentally eat a piece of ginger hidden in the food, you’ll find me making weird faces. Considering I am Asian, I guess that makes me a weird Asian.
7. Who do you admire most and why?
I admire people who are going through a hard time, but they still manage to be a light in the darkness. These past 6 months, I have come across some beautiful stories of people who had endured the greatest heartbreak and managed to bounce back. Some have to endure with lifelong challenges they can never escape from. Yet, they manage to make the best out of the cards they are dealt with and inspire people at the same time. All these are a beautiful testament to the unbreakable of human spirits in the face of adversity.
8. If you could invent a holiday, what would it be? How would people celebrate?
Unplug Holiday. We as a society spend so much time glued to the screen. The saddest part is when you see it on young children. We need to get outside more enjoying nature and exploring the beauty the world offers us in real time, not from a screen.
9. Are you an apple or an Android person?
Apple. I never had an Android before.
10. What are 5 things you would bury in a time capsule?
I am not sure. I am not in a habit of holding on to physical things, especially after losing 90% of my physical belonging in my move to the other side of the world. I don’t even want to be buried so they won’t find my bones sometime in the future. 🙂
11. Is this your first blogging award?
Yes. It is.
In search of my nominees, I visited quite a number of blogs and I apologize if I break the rule for not nominating 11 blogs.
I decided to pass on the award to those blogs that have been around for at least 3 months, have good quality website design, and completely embrace the meaning of bringing Sunshine in their readers’ life by inspiring, motivating and giving new perspectives for a meaningful life.
Here are my nominees, in no particular order, and why I find them to be inspiring:
- Claire — Clairespiration: Goals, Growth, and Gratitude— Head on over for some wisdom, insight and passion to live a fearless, full and giving life
- Carina Jane — Carina Jane: Minimalism ~ Life Management ~ Meal Planning — Minimalism is something that I am adopting in this phase of life. I do believe the chase for material things has a huge flaw for we can’t take any of it to the grave. If minimalism is something that has piqued your interest for a while, head on over to her blog for some practical tips on how to get started on it. You will also find useful tips on life management and time management.
- Lauren Najar — Laugh Always: Be inspired. Live Your Best Life. Laugh Always — Through her blog and community group, Lauren shares lots motivation and personal triumph strories thorough the most challenging life trials. Head on over for some inspirations to live your best life.
- Wendi Huskins Iacobello — Strength 4 Spouses — Wendi is passionate about brightening someone’s day with a thoughtful gesture, teaching, or by writing and sharing her experiences. Head on over for inspirations in finding your inner most strength in the misdst of your darkest moments.
- Kristen Hanff — Life Reinvented: Encouraging, Equipping & Empowering Women to Embrace the Life God Intended Us to Have — Kristen’s story of watching her life falling apart, but returning to the faith that God is actually reinventing her life resonates with me. It is what has been happening in my own life. Head on over to her blog for some inspiration in trusting Him in the middle of the storms.
- Chirasree Banerjee – Travel Realizations — I completely agree with her life philosophy that our precious treasures are not our degrees, but the experiences that we acquired while traveling to different parts of the world. Head on over for some travel inspirations, cultural insights, and little nugets of wisdom along the journey.
My questions to my nominees:
1. When and why did you start blogging?
2. How has blogging changed your life?
3. What is the biggest adversity you have overcome?
4. What have you learned from it?
5. What sustains you when everything else fails?
6. What other things are you passionate about?
The next 2 questions have something to do with death. I believe that thinking about death help bring clarity of what you want your life to be all about. Plus, I am a Scorpio, with Pluto, God of the Underworld, as one of my ruling planets. So, what can I say? 🙂
7. What do you want to be remembered for?
8. Fill in the blank: “Before I die, I want to _________________________”
Okay, now we’re back into living our best life.
9. What is your ideal kind of day?
10. What are 3 things you have on your non-bucket list? (Things you will never do in your lifetime)
11. Where do you see yourself a year from now?
Congratulations to all new nominees!
I look forward to reading your posts with your nominees and questions for them if you choose to accept the nomination.
Follow these simple steps to accept the nomination:
Shout out to the blogger who nominated you with a link back to their blog.
Answer all the 11 questions given by the blogger nominating you.
Nominate 11 more bloggers for the Sunshine Award, with links to their blogs.
— I kinda break this rule. Apparently, finding 11 new people who inspire you is not as easy as it looks. So, I won’t tell if you break it too 🙂 —
Don’t forget to notify your nominees!
Participation is optional, but it’s fun to do! So have fun and pass along the glory of the Sunshine Blogger Award.
Keep on shining and brightening your corner of the world!
Please share the love! Thanks!